mercoledì 25 aprile 2018

queerasfact: “…do you think that I shall marry? - Never … Mary...



queerasfact:

“…do you think that I shall marry? - Never … Mary Shelley shall be written on my tomb - and why? I cannot tell - that that it is so pretty a name that tho’ I were to preach to myself for years, I should never have the heard to get rid of it.”

This is Mary Shelley’s grave, at St. Peter’s Church, Bournemouth, England.

Mary is buried here in the Shelley family vault. During her life, Mary also had the remains of her parents - political philosopher William Godwin, and pioneering feminist Mary Wollstonecraft - moved to the graveyard at St. Peter’s.

Percy Shelley’s heart, plucked in true goth style from his funeral pyre on an Italian beach and carried by Mary in her writing death for the rest of her life, also rests here.

Mary Shelley, true to her word, never remarried, and “Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley” is written on her tomb. That didn’t, however, stop her pursuing a relationship with her friend Jane Williams, which you can hear about on our podcast.



Nessun commento :

Posta un commento